Let’s face it: making a full-time living as a meditation teacher is not easy.
While some high-profile meditation teachers (like the some of the folks on the covers of Meditation Magazine) make millions of dollars, the vast majority struggle to earn enough money to quit their day jobs.
As the director of Meditation University’s award-winning Meditation Teacher Training program, I’ve come to see that there are three types of career paths that can work well for meditation teachers:
- Building a business in the field of meditation
- Integrating meditation into an existing system
- Working as a meditation “contractor”
1. The Business Owner Path: Products and Passive Income
As a Business Owner in the meditation industry, your focus is on creating and selling products like books, courses, and other media to share your teachings. This approach allows you to make a living from sales while still having a broad impact.
- Video courses
- Guided meditation tracks
- YouTube channel
- Mobile apps
- VR apps
- Passive Income: Once set up, these avenues offer continuous revenue.
- Creative Freedom: You have complete control over your content.
- Global Audience: With online platforms, your reach is limitless.
- Time-Intensive: Initial setup requires substantial effort.
- Market Competition: Differentiation is crucial.
- Upfront Costs: There are initial investments like hosting and marketing.
One especially potent method that has worked well for me is creating blog posts (like this one) that promote my online meditation courses (some of which are more hands-on, while others provide me with passive income) and my personal meditation coaching services as well.
2. Working Within A System: Integrative Alchemy
If you’re already working in a field like education, healthcare, or counseling, it can be efficient and effective to integrate meditation practices into your existing profession. Incorporating meditation techniques into an already existing career, such as a nurse, teacher, professor, or therapist, can help you improve the lives of your clients and/or students.
- Nurses/Healthcare Providers
- Social Workers
- Human Resources Personnel
- Life Coaches
- Yoga Instructors
- Personal Trainers
- Immediate Impact: Introduce new tools to an existing audience.
- Stable Income: You’re backed by your current job.
- Built-in Credibility: Your primary profession validates your expertise.
- Institutional Limitations: Bureaucracy can be a hurdle.
- Limited Flexibility: You may not have full control over how to introduce meditation.
- Work-Life Balance: Managing this along with your primary job can be challenging.
If you’re a teacher, nurse, or therapist, integrating meditation into your professional life is like turning your workplace into a sacred space where learning, healing, and mindfulness coexist.
3. The Service-Based Path: The Foot Soldier of Stillness
Some meditation teachers, coaches & guides prefer to work directly, in person or via zoom, with individuals and/or groups.
As a contractor, you can set up daily, weekly, or monthly classes at institutions & businesses like hospitals, schools, wellness centers, gyms, spas, yoga studios, corporations, and retreat centers.
You are the wandering monk, without the monastery.
- Recreation centers
- Wellness centers
- Yoga studios
- Corporate offices
- Senior centers
- Rehabilitation centers
- Retreat centers
- Human Interaction: Direct, meaningful impact.
- Location Flexibility: Work from anywhere.
- Diverse Income Streams: Offer workshops, classes, and retreats.
- Unpredictable Income: Usually gig-based.
- Logistics: Travel and setup can be taxing.
- Self-Promotion: You’re your own best marketer.
Combine this path with the Business Owner route. You can use your teaching experience to write better books and create better online courses… and you can use your books, courses, videos, etc, to funnel clients into your direct coaching services. A seamless tapestry of interconnected offerings.
Elevate Your Career with Our MTT Program
At Meditation University, our MTT program ranks among the top in the world for good reason. We do more than teach you meditation techniques from around the world. We offer extensive practice sessions, peer-to-peer and instructor feedback, and most importantly, an entire month focused on helping you build your career. We guide you step-by-step, helping you lay a solid foundation for a sustainable career in meditation teaching.
Take the Next Step: Enroll in Meditation University’s MTT Program
Turning your passion for meditation into a fulfilling career is more attainable than you think. Through our MTT program, you’ll not only master the art of teaching meditation but also learn the business skills to make your dream a sustainable reality.
Ready to change lives, including your own? Join our Meditation Teacher Training program today.